Sunday, August 19, 2012

My World and Welcome to It

Actor William Windom died Thursday at the age of 88.  He appeared in a mountain of work in features and television. Depending on your fan allegiances, you may best remember him from The Twilight Zone, or The Farmer's Daughter, Star Trek, or Murder, She Wrote.  But for me, it's My World and Welcome To It.

I was seven years old when it premiered in the fall of 1969, and even though it ran only one season, it really stuck with me. Based on the humor of The New Yorker cartoonist James Thurber, the show had segments combining live action and animation with a Thurber-esque design produced by DePatie-Freling.



Through the magic of the internet, clips from the show were easy to find.  It's a bit mind-blowing to see it again after 42 years, and to see that indeed it had some influence on a my young, future animator self.

-Steve